Red Flag Warning, 11pm Fri. May 7 EXTENDED to 6pm, Tues., May 11
From N'tl Weather Service: Red Flag Warning for the North Bay mountains above 2,000 feet. Critical fire weather conditions are expected during this time frame for strong wind gusts and dry conditions. The affected area includes higher terrain areas of Marin, Napa, Sonoma, and East Bay counties.
The concerns with this weather system are that wildfires that develop will likely spread rapidly. Erratic gusty winds may result in dangerous and unpredictable fire behavior. Residents are advised to exercise extreme caution during the Red Flag Warning because a simple spark could cause a major wildfire, including the use of equipment and machinery as well as smoking.
All National Park Service beaches in Marin will remain open, but the following land-use restrictions will be in effect for the Marin Municipal Water District (MMWD), Mount Tamalpais State Park, & Marin County Open Space District preserves during the Red Flag conditions.
· MMWD closures at Sky Oaks, Natalie Coffin Green Park (Ross), Leo Cronin Parking Lot,
· Closure of Fairfax Bolinas Road
· All open burning and burn permits are suspended on public lands
· Closures of Mount Tamalpais State Park; roads north of Panoramic Highway are closed to motor vehicle traffic on Pantoll Road and Ridgecrest Boulevard.
· Mt. Vision Road in the Seashore will be closed.
· Pedestrian and cyclist access to Mount Tamalpias will remain open.
· All park use permits north of Panoramic Highway are suspended, including filming.
Helpful phone numbers:
· Mount Tamalpais State Park, (415) 388-2070
· Marin Municipal Water District, (415) 945-1195
· Marin County Fire Information Hotline, (415) 473-7191
Remember: Defensible space is essential to improve a home’s chance of surviving a wildfire.
To register for emergency alerts, visit www.alertmarin.org. For current emergency status, visit https://emergency.marincounty.org/. To learn more about preparing for wildfire, visit www.firesafemarin.org. ~posted by pointreyesdisastercouncil.org
Commons Connect Forums provide a virtual gathering place to those who live and work in the West Marin Community. (Access to this local online forum is limited to those who work and live in the geographical area outlined here.)
A single registration allows community members to post local events on the Community Calendar, to post items of immediate importance on Alerts, and to access all of the forums including:
- West Marin Soapbox: Campaigns, Causes, and Discussions
- Over-the-Hill-Gang: Rides and Errands
- West Marin Share: Reuse materials; share information and services - a money free zone
- West Marin Marketplace: rentals; things and services for sale
- Tending the Wild Collaborative: An Ethnobiology Project
- Local Food System Initiative: Food and garden related shares and information
- Think Local West Marin: Appreciation and applause for our neighbors
- Commons Connect Tech Support: Help with our Web site features
- Volunteering Opportunities in West Marin: Help our local non-profits